The Structure & Remit of Chessington School’s Governing Body
The Purpose of Governance
(1) The purpose of Governance is to provide a confident, strategic leadership and to create robust accountability, oversight and assurance for educational and financial performance.
(2) The Governing Body has three core functions::
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
The Governing Body works in close co-operation with the Headteacher to provide support and challenge to encourage and enable the highest possible standards for the School.
a) The Full Governing Body (FGB) meets approximately four or five times a year. It is a strategic body, responsible for ensuring that the three core functions explained above are met. It also has the power to appoint members. The Governing Body delegates responsibilities to the three Committees as explained below
Chair: Jules Hammond
Vice Chair: Vacant
(b) The Learning and Teaching (L&T) Committee meets at least once a term. It monitors and evaluates pupil achievement and the quality of teaching, ensuring the School provides a high quality learning experience and delivers a broad and balanced curriculum in keeping with the School’s vision, all pupil needs and within current legal requirements.
Chair: Vanessa Sinet
Vice Chair: Jules Hammond
(c) Finance & Business Committee meets approximately three times a year. It advises on the financial management of the School. The Committee monitors financial management issues and acts accordingly with sufficient authority to make its action effective.
Chair: Karen Carman
Vice Chair: Han-Ley Tang
(d) Student, Staff and Community Wellbeing (SSCW) Committee meets at least once a term. It supports, monitors and challenges the School on all aspects of pupils’ personal development, welfare and behaviour and the wellbeing of staff. The Committee is also responsible for reviewing engagement with parents and collaborating with the School’s Student Council in relation to their community and student leadership activities. The relevant aspects of the School’s development plan are monitored at SSCW meetings.
Chair: Carolyn Withey
Vice Chair: Sonia Molnar
Further information about the members of Chessington’s Governing Board, including their profile, attendance, responsibilities and voting rights can be found on other pages of the Governors’ section of the School website